GAY - N - SOBER: RANDOM MUSINGS

Hi! I'm a single gay male with over 2 years sober from alcohol in the Metro Detroit area. My therapist always told me to write down what I was thinkin' to help clear out my head. Well, I've finally takin' her advice. I hope that you enjoy reading this blog as much as I enjoy writing it. Thanks again for visiting and please tell me what you think of what you read! Peace! Mark

Saturday, March 11, 2006

MUSING ON GETTING TESTED

I probably shouldn't be revealing this here, but if I'm going to be true and honest - here goes: I just had an HIV test done. Like 15 minutes ago!! And now the waiting begins. I felt if this is my site on "Random Thoughts on Being Gay ....." - this definitely qualifies. So here are some of my thoughts right now:
This is the first time I've had an oral test done; and the first time I went to the local Gay and Lesbian Community center. I guess for some unfounded reason, I've always been afraid of the oral test; yea, I know, I really don't know why. But, come to find out, the oral test goes thru the same Elysia and Western Blot tests for anti - bodies as do the blood samples. And of course, it's pain FREE!! So instead of a needle prick (which I hate!!!), you keep this sponge thing in your mouth for 4 minutes. A much better option for needle phobes like me!
So question: Do all Gay organizations ONLY hire young, hot guys!!! My counselor was Chris: OMG! Young (late 20's), tall, thin, big hands and feet and the most beautiful Aqua blue eyes I've ever seen! It was so hard to concentrate! At the County Health Department where I usually go, there were usually female counselors, nurses, and phlebotomists. Chris was great eye candy for a change - plus kept my mind off the racing thoughts I usually have while getting tested.
I'm also writing this on this site as a kind of public insurance of admittance. See, I have this overwhelming urge to NOT tell anyone things that happen to me in my daily life. I'm talking big things, too - like being sent home from work! Walking off the job! Big stuff! I just get this "I don't want to burden my friends or family" feeling when stuff happens to me like that. However, once I do finally say something, I always feel 100% better and get so much love a support from everyone!! So this way, I know friends and family will know at least I've been tested. So in about 2 weeks when I get the results back - they'll be asking me questions that I'll have to answer honestly!! I did with when I first got Sober. I told my co - workers and my superiors about my out patient treatment, as well as family members and my ONE friend I still had at the time: Scott. This way, I felt, I had to follow thru with the treatment and not drink for fear of letting all those people "down". That was, until it finally "clicked" that I had to stop drinking 'cause I wanted to - NOT for other people!
Well, lastly, I hope this entry prompts others who read it to finally get tested. I know you all know where your local Community Health Department is located that offers free, anonymous HIV testing. If you have had unprotected sex or injected drugs - you should get tested. And don't wait for 3 years to do it like I did.... that is way too long! Early dection is best; remember - a positive result is NOT a death sentence! Never has - never will!! Be safe, get tested and thanks for visiting!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home