GAY - N - SOBER: RANDOM MUSINGS

Hi! I'm a single gay male with over 2 years sober from alcohol in the Metro Detroit area. My therapist always told me to write down what I was thinkin' to help clear out my head. Well, I've finally takin' her advice. I hope that you enjoy reading this blog as much as I enjoy writing it. Thanks again for visiting and please tell me what you think of what you read! Peace! Mark

Sunday, December 11, 2005

COLD MEDICINE REGULATION AND DRINKING RESPONSIBLY

Wow! Sorry it's been so long since my last entry - I've been sick with a nasty sinus infection! Plus, I don't have health insurance yet (still waiting for the 90 day mark at the new job!). So, I tried this new product out - called Zicam. Works wonders, as long as you keep up with it - just like a real antibiotic. 'Cause I used up the whole bottle (25 tablets), and the next day got this nasty cough! So, it was off to the local Walgreens again for a cough medicine. God luv the Free Market society!! There are just way too many choices out there that are supposed to help with the common cold and/or flu! You really need a medical background to navigate today's over the counter medicines!! All I wanted was one that would take care of my cough, but I found one that would also help with my congestion. I was still overwhelmed by the "wall of cold medicine" I was facing. All these little index cards listing what the drug will do for you if you choose to purchase it! All they really did was creating more questions! What really is the difference between a name brand medicine and the off brand anyway? Is it really like the difference in the Costco store and the Kirkland brand? Do I want to trust ingesting a drug that is less than its brother product? I'm I just creating drama where none exists? Whoa, slow down cheetah!
Anyway, by the way, there really are NOT a whole lot of alcohol free remedies out there!!
Why is that?
Speaking of index cards, did you know that a lot of the cold/flu remedies are being kept BEHIND the pharmacists counter, at least here in the Metro Detroit area?! It seems for years, some drug users have been purchasing stuff like Sudafed and cooking it up in homemade labs into Methamphetamine (meth)! Who knew!! According to a USA Today article from June of this year, these addicts use the drug Pseudoephedrine found in some over the counter cold and flu remedies.
Did you also know that there is pending legislation about restricting how these cold and flu products will be made AND how they will be sold? The USA Today article states: "At least 44 states have passed or are considering legislation to restrict products that contain pseudoephedrine. In addition, the U.S. Senate is considering legislation that would impose strict standards on products made with pseudoephedrine. The bill proposes placing the products behind the counter, requiring the customer to show identification and sign a log book, and limiting how much can be sold at a time." So, this new drug craze is costing us as a society a lot of money at several levels: the drug companies will have to alter the way they make their product and charge us more to purchase them; our own lawmakers now have to divert their time and energy from other issues to create laws around common cold and flu medicines; local pharmacies have already changed how they stock these products; and finally, these drug companies have already had to make these little index cards which you use to bring up to the pharmacy counter to purchase their product!!
Wow!! All this commotion over some products that are being abused by a very small portion of the US population. I can't help but think about the similarities surrounding alcohol purchases! You have to be 21 and show ID. It is usually sold behind a counter, and its sale and distribution is regulated by a state governing body! It even has warning labels on it in some states!!! (so I here). So, how did all this regulation help stop ME from abusing alcohol? It didn't, obviously!
Is government regulation really the answer to stopping abuse?
Not really, but it is a hell of a start!
Regulation alone is never enough. Coupled with education and awareness though, it could become a stronger measure against drug and alcohol abuse. In addition, however, we as a society should adopt a new message surrounding alcohol intake, rather than the lame "just say no" or "friends don't let friends drive drunk" ones. The message should be: RESPONSIBILITY. Not just from the TV ads either! I believe that like driving, drinking is a PRIVILEGE not a right. As family and friends drink together, we should really monitor everyone's alcohol intake as closely as we watch our own. How often have you found yourself out with friends and its time to head home, and someone in your group is saying "Really, I'm fine. I don't need a cab. I'll call you when I get home". NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Being responsible means stepping up and actually saying something about that persons alcohol intake BEFORE its too late.
How many of us would feel comfortable doing that? I know I have already. With friends that already knew I didn't drink. Let me tell you; it didn't go over well. A small shift in attitude could affect so many lives!
"Please Drink responsibly" could be " Please drink socially". Or how about stealing from "Got Milk" - "Got Limits?" Or even "Can you hear me now?" could become "Should I stop drinking now?". Let me know what you think....or your suggestions! Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home